Top Asheville Events in March 2015
When you reach your cabin at Asheville Cabins of Willow Winds in March, you’re greeted by the very first signs of spring. Blooms of every size and color begin to poke up through the grounds, from the front entrance to your doorstep. You’ll agree: the grounds are gorgeous.
Once you’ve taken in the glory of the Blue Ridge Mountains display of flora outside, settle into your luxury cabin. Relax, enjoy the hot tub and then get ready to participate in a couple big, unique Asheville events for you and your family.
2015 Southern Conference Basketball Championships
You’re just in time for the big SoCon basketball championship games taking place downtown Asheville at the U.S. Cellular Center. The men’s and women’s games provide pure excitement from March 5 through March 9.
And you’ll find plenty of sideline Asheville events complementing the tourneys. Just a few of the activities include:
- Overtime at the Grove Arcade is Friday, March 6, after the games, just a block away from the arena. Join in for drinks, food and a local-style pep rally to celebrate the b-ball events.
- Downtown Dribble takes place at the Vance Monument from 10:45 to 11:15 AM on March 7. 500 kids get basketballs to dribble, parade-style, the six blocks to the civic center.
- ARC of Buncombe County 5K Run complements the dribble on March 7 for a little pre-game exercise. Start and finish at Pack Square. Race goes from 9:30 to 10:30 AM.
Music lovers get their fair share of the excitement in March, too. Asheville events include concerts and shows dedicated to the master of Mozart. Among the many Amadeus Asheville activities you’ll find:
- Amadeus is a co-production presented by NC Stage Company and Asheville Community Theatre. The local theater troupe offers this special engagement March 11–22, Wednesdays through Saturdays at 7:30 PM and on Sundays at 2:30 PM.
- Pre-Festival Kick-off at Highland Brewing Company, on March 14, when a classic Vienna- style lager is released in Mozart’s honor.
- The Asheville Symphony plans a number of concerts:
o Opening night at Diana Wortham Theatre, March 17 at 8:00 PM
o Family Concert on March 21 at the Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Asheville at 11:00 AM and 2:00 PM
o Pianoforte at the Asheville Art Museum, March 19 at 6:00 PM
o Asheville Lyric Opera at the YMI Cultural Center, March 18 at 7:00 PM
Floral Asheville events include concerts, special hikes and creative gardening classes. And you’ll be amazed at two exceptional flower shows in locations very close to your cabin’s front porch:
- Biltmore Blooms takes place from March 20 through May 25. Talk to us at the office about landing tickets for this amazing event that celebrates the blooms of spring. The festival of flowers shows off more than 90,000 tulips and beautiful floral displays in the Biltmore House gardens. It’s a must-see.
- The Orchid Show at the NC Arboretum features plants on display and supplies for sale by world-class vendors. It runs on March 28 and 29. The judged show includes thousands of orchids and is one of the largest orchid competitions in the Southeast. The theme this year is “The Lost World of Orchids.”